The restraining order requires the restaurant to close and not reopen without an L.A. County health permit and a city conditional use permit.
The City Council revoked the bar’s conditional use permit last month. It kept operating anyway.
The court that issued the restraining order denied the city’s request to cut off Tin Horn Flats electricity or lock the structure’s doors.
“If Tin Horn Flats continues to refuse to close, the city will return to court for further orders and enforcement,” City Council said in a statement.
A hearing on a preliminary injunction is scheduled for March 26.
“At this hearing, the judge could continue the closure order and add further orders during the period while the litigation is pending,” City Council said.
Tin Horn Flats owner Baret Lapejian indicated on social media he plans to keep the bar open despite the restraining order.
On the bar’s Facebook page, Lapejian said: “Illegal mandates and closures with ZERO science have ZERO right to take away our livelihood. While the CA-Sheep flock and follow and continue to mask, double mask, hide under their beds and cancel culture – WE WILL NOT COMPLY.”
Lapejian also set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay for expected legal fees from the dispute. The bar has hired high-profile Los Angeles law firm Geragos & Geragos Law to represent it in court. It is the same law firm that is representing Pineapple Hill Saloon & Grill in its lawsuit against Gov. Gavin Newsom regarding the outdoor dining ban, which the Sherman Oaks restaurant claims was unconstitutional.
So far, Tin Horn Flats’ crowdfunding effort has raised $6,000 of the bar’s $30,000 goal.